Saturday, January 2, 2010

Cowboy Bebop: Remix














Well, that wraps up Cowboy Bebop. It's considered one of the classics in anime. I'll serve up my ten favorite episodes soon. I certainly didn't love Cowboy Bebop. There were a few installments that were terrific, but the series as a whole was uneven. The creators failed to deliver on dramtaic intensity for me. There were a few entries close to perfect, but they were few and far between. There were too many wacky, weird, seemingly pointless entries sprinkled throughout the series. It never seemed to quite pick up steam or momentum. It definitely had to do with the writing. The animation was beautiful as many of these anime series can be.

Some other anime series I've enjoyed just as much, in some cases a bit more include: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Last Exile, Ergo Proxy, Ghost In The Shell and Patlabor. Those are a few that come to mind worthy of your time investment. I think Cowboy Bebop certainly embodies a distinct look and vision with some colorfully unique characters, but I didn't feel the sum equalled the parts. There was little connection to the characters for me by the end of it all. I know many will feel I didn't get the series, perhaps not. I think a number of the aforementioned series, like Cowboy Bebop, have their strong points, but do have their flaws or shortcomings as well. Each has its success in varying degrees. None of them are perfect, but all are worth checking out if you're a fan of animation.

When time permits I'll have to take a look at Cowboy Bebop: The Movie.

No comments: